New Member - 3G Civic in East Midlands

Introduce yourself to the rest of us - what's your car, plans and maybe a little about yourself if you like!
Shyam
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

New Member - 3G Civic in East Midlands

Post by Shyam »

Hi everyone,

My name is Shyam.

I was searching for a temporary daily driver to use that would be cheap to buy, cheap on petrol, cheap to tax/insure and would start in the morning without fail whilst my other car goes off road for some work.

I almost settled for a Micra.

Then this thing came up, a 1986 Honda Civic 1.3 DX 3G! Bought with a busted waterpump. So yeah, I compromised a little on the 'start in the morning without fail' bit. This thing runs off carbs on a manual choke! But I'm a sucker for classic hatches and decided the hassle would be worth it.

After limping this home on a 100+ mile journey, I replaced the water pump, timing belt, HT leads, dizzy rotor arm. Now it runs and purrs beautifully without any issues. I gotta say, after two weeks of using it, I am truly impressed. It starts up first time, every time on choke without fail! Sure the 1.3 EV engine is a little under powered, but it goes pretty well when you give it some. It keeps up with modern traffic without any hesitation and gives me 40-50mpg! Also, the front torsion bar suspension set up is very effective in a 800kg car, it gets the torque down well and the extra rigidity really works wonders. It feels like a go kart to drive and you can pull fwd drifts in this thing all day long!

So yeah, it's pretty much exceeded all my expectations and I'm in love with it. Once my other car is finished, I'm planning to take this off road and do a road/track car build. Current thoughts are Motul race car replica with a supercharged ZC or B series engine swap.

I couldn't specifically find a 3G civic forum so I've come to join this one. I have noticed you have a section for 3G's which is useful!

Since I'm introducing myself, I may aswel tell you a bit about my other cars. The car I'm taking off road for some work is a 1996 Toyota Starlet Glanza V. I will be installing a new custom built hybrid turbo with ram horn manifold, split decat, blitz nur spec exhaust system and a boost controller along with some other bits and bobs.

I also own a 1983 Mercedes Benz 280CE coupe. This is currently at body shop undergoing a full body restoration and respray at the moment.

For the adrenaline junkies amongst you, I also own a 2000 Aprilia ETX 125 with a 2 stroke Rotax racing engine.

Thanks for reading my introduction. I look forward to being part of the community and making new friends. :)